This is a major project: linking Lake Geneva to the Mediterranean by a green route, an 815-km route steeped in 2000 years of history! We will leave Switzerland by bike, to reach the beaches of the south of France. The itinerary follows the Rhône River through 3 regions and 12 departments. Begun in 2008, its progressive development will continue until 2020.
La ViaRhôna in Drôme Provençale: about fifty km of greenway
Open to cyclists, rollerbladers and pedestrians, the ViaRhôna largely uses the old towpaths (used in the past to tow boats from the shore). All facilities are also accessible to people with reduced mobility. In the Drôme, 5 sections are open to the public. In Provençal Drôme the route can be taken from north of Montelimar (from Saulce-sur-Rhône) to Pierrelatte en passant par le pont du robinet. A route of almost 50 km of greenways with a small part of cycle route, i.e. a traffic lane shared with motorists at Rochemaure. Thus, ViaRhôna offers links and variants that avoid difficult passages.
A fun activity to discover with family or friends !
The Rhône by bike is an opportunity to discover emblematic landscapes of the South Drôme with its perched villages, its lavender fields, its vignobles and oliviers. It is also an opportunity to taste local products: fruits, chestnuts from Ardèche, nougat from Montélimar, provencal olives and wines from the Rhône Valley.
Where to sleep along the ViaRhôna ?
There is the label Accueil Vélo which is a national brand that guarantees a accueil and quality services to cyclists along cycle routes in France and particularly for ViaRhôna. The small green logo makes it easy to identify labelled structures that must be located less than 5 km from the routes. Bicycle rental companies, tourist offices, places of visit and leisure, as well as accommodations (hotel, cottage and guest room, camping) are listed. You can find them in each step on the website www.viarhona.com
Pedal while mixing pleasure, nature, heritage and gastronomy!
(a site that details each section step by step with downloadable sheets, Drôme Provençale sections n° 21 and 22).
Where to ride down our beautiful mountains on mountain bikes?
Between Vercors and Provence, the Drôme Provençale is the ideal playground for mountain bikers: small mountains, forest tracks, ridges, vineyards, lavender fields, breathtaking views, olive groves in the Provençal Baronnies… From natural areas to splendid landscapes !
6 MTB bases labelled FFCT and/or MTB site FFC
- Tricastin Mountain Bike Base – 14 circuits
- Base VTT du Pays de Dieulefit – 12 circuits
- Mountain bike base Pays de Grignan – Enclave des Papes – 12 circuits
- Mountain bike base Pays de Nyons (departures Nyons / Ste Jalle / St Ferreol) – 10 tours
- Mountain bike base Pays de Rémuzat – 8 circuits
- Mountain bike base Pays de Buis-les-Baronnies – 14 tours
- Le Marsanne Tourist Information Office offers you the rental of electric power assisted bicycles (EAB) and mountain bikes. A soft, ecological and accessible means of transport for all.
- The Tourist Offices publish many cyclo/vtt topo, they offer for sale the FFCT editions. Find the “Good Plan” sheets of the Conseil départemental de la Drôme, under Sport de Nature.